JOB ROLE: DOMESTIC ASSISTANT
- Depute Manager
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
- To work as a team member and assist in the provision of a quality service to our customers.
Main accountabilities of the job:
- To provide a domestic cleaning service within the care home to the standards set down by company policy, best practice.
- To undertake all hygienic work practices in relation to the care home environment
- To clean and protect a variety of floor surfaces
- To clean furniture, furnishing, fixtures and fittings.
- To clean sanitary fixtures and fittings and replenish sundries
- To remove refuse.
- To clean vertical surfaces without the use of access equipment
- To assist with the daily well-being of all residents and helping to establish them within their new environment.
- To ensure laundry services are effective, working in line with guidance and expectations
- Ensure laundry and personal possessions of residents is safe and returned to them, label as directed
- Ensure Health and Safety, infection prevention and control and fire safety within the laundry and wider care environment
- Ensure safe operating systems are in place in the laundry and follow these
- Work with others staff to ensure the laundry service is effective
Knowledge and experience
- Understands job relevant processes and procedures, COSHH, Health and Safety, Infection Control, Fire Safety.
- Applies established procedures, techniques and processes in own work area.
- Follows routine instructions requiring some supervision.
- Possesses the necessary experience, or is actively gaining it in a planned way, to undertake the role effectively.
- Passes on information / advice in a clear, concise and accurate way both through written and verbal communication.
- Checks own understanding and asks questions in order to clarify instructions / directions.
- Understanding of Company values, duties and commitment to equality of opportunity both as an employer and service provider.
- Puts into practice operating procedures designed to support the Company’s Equal Opportunities Policy.
- Demonstrates commitment through behaviour towards colleagues. Is constantly mindful of equality and diversity issues in providing services and seeks to avoid unwitting discrimination.
- Takes reasonable care for the Health and Safety of him / herself and any other person(s) who may be affected by their acts or omissions.
- Complies with all instructions whether verbal or written, to achieve safety for themselves and others.
Co-operating with others
- Understands own role in the team(s) and operates as an effective and reliable member.
- Supports and encourages other team members through enthusiasm and interest.
- Achieves own accountabilities and helps to meet the demands of the team.
Personal initiative and drive
- Takes advantage of opportunities to learn, seeks new opportunities for self-development and seeks constructive feedback on performance.
- Organises personal workload in an effective and productive way.
- Applies the correct procedures when dealing with customer queries or complaints.
- Provides a helpful and friendly service to customers and avoids confrontation by remaining polite and courteous.
- Knows who and when to pass on comments and queries.
- The successful candidate will be required to clean vertical surfaces without the use of access equipment and to assist with the daily well-being of all residents.
- The successful candidate will be required to work shifts in accordance with a roster including evenings and weekends.
- This post is excepted in terms of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 2003.
- The successful candidate will be subject to a criminal records check provided by Disclosure Scotland.
- This post is considered Regulated Work with Protected Adults, under the Protection of Vulnerable Groups (Scotland) Act, 2007. Therefore, it is an offence to apply if you are barred from working with protected adults.
- Preferred candidates will be required to join the PVG Scheme, or undergo a PVG Scheme Update check, prior to a formal offer of employment being made by South Lanarkshire Council.
- Please refer to http://www.disclosurescotland.co.uk/publications/ and click on Code of Practice for further information about the disclosure process and best practice.